The MDI Biological Laboratory hosts short term research visits and sabbaticals for academic and industry scientists who wish to pursue research aligned with the institution’s focus.
Limited funds may be available for fellowship support of visiting scientists who come to the MDI Biological Laboratory to collaborate with our faculty and to support our education and outreach programs. Fellowship awards can offset housing rental, laboratory rental, laboratory supplies and hazardous waste fees. Funds are not awarded for travel, additional personnel or personal expenses.
Self-funded scientists are also invited to submit applications for summer research programs.
For more information, contact Jane E. Disney, Ph.D.
Scientist requesting research fellowships and self-funded scientists both need to provide all of the items below:
Research Summary 2-page (maximum). The summary must include this information as subheadings in the text:
- Introduction: Describe background and significance of research.
- Experimental Plan: Describe the research experiments in non-technical detail.
- Innovation: Describe how the project uses innovative or novel experimental approaches or addresses research questions using a new approach.
- References must be provided. They are not counted in the 2-page limit.
Short-form CV (e.g., Biosketch) to upload into the online application.
Letter of support to upload into the online application. Applicants collaborating with our resident faculty must upload a letter of support from their collaborator. Independent applicants must upload a letter from an established colleague reflecting upon the scientific significance and innovation of the proposed research project.
Application Deadlines for 2017
- January 9, 2017 (For May–October Independent Seasonal Visits 2017)
- Rolling applications are accepted for scientists collaborating with resident faculty laboratories. Applicants should contact the Education Office for details.