ASN is now accepting applications for the 2019 Kidney TREKS (Tutored Research and Education for Kidney Scholars) program and for travel support to the 2019 Network of Minority Health Research Investigators (NMRI) Annual Workshop. The deadlines to apply for these exciting programs are Friday, January 18, 2019, at 4:00 p.m. EST and Monday, March 11, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. EST.
ASN Kidney TREKS Program
ASN Kidney TREKS is a week-long program that provides graduate students and medical students with a unique opportunity to explore a career in nephrology while experiencing one of two off-site locations: the Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory in Bar Harbor, Maine (June 8 – 15, 2019), or the University of Chicago in Chicago, IL (July 20 – 27, 2019).
To be eligible for the 2019 Kidney TREKS program, applicants:
- Must be a medical student who has completed at least one year of medical school, a graduate student pursuing a PhD, or a postdoctoral fellow within one year of receiving a PhD. Please note: there is a separate program for nephrology fellows.
- Must reside in North America.
After completing the program, successful applicants will:
- Connect with nephrologist mentors at their local institutions to guide further research and career development.
- Be able to attend ASN Kidney Week with travel support as part of the ASN Kidney STARS Program within two years of participating in the TREKS program.
- Receive complimentary ASN membership, including access to online resources for students.
For more information and application requirements, please visit the ASN Kidney TREKS webpage.
ASN encourages research investigators who are interested in minority health research to check out the travel support program for the Network of Minority Health Research Investigators (NMRI) Annual Workshop.
ASN provides $1,500 USD per person in travel support to nephrologists and other researchers conducting kidney-related research to attend the workshop, which will take place from Wednesday, April 24 to Friday, April 26, 2019 in Bethesda, Maryland.
ASN members who would who like to be considered for ASN-sponsored travel support should contact ASN Workforce and Career Advancement Associate Laura Hefner at email@example.com. Members will then be asked to complete or update their NMRI profile.
To be eligible for this travel support, applicants must be:
- A nephrologist; or
- Conducting kidney related research.
All travel support funds will be distributed via mail after the conclusion of the workshop.
If selected for travel support, recipients must be:
- Accepted as a NMRI member.
- Registered for and attend the NMRI Annual Workshop.
- A current ASN member (please note, fellow/trainee membership is free).
For questions or more information about the ASN Kidney TREKS program or the ASN-NMRI Annual Workshop Travel Support program, please contact ASN Workforce and Career Advancement Associate Laura Hefner at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-640-4660.