High School Student Summer Research Fellowship
We welcome applicants who desire hands-on, research training experience within an advanced laboratory that complements current resident research programs. Our high school summer research fellowship program is highly competitive. Over 100 applications are submitted annually for a small number of available positions. High School Fellows are assigned to and supervised by a senior scientist mentor, provided with lunches in our dining hall Monday through Friday, and receive a stipend. Housing and travel funds are not provided.
Please note that the 2019 High School Fellowship is a Monday-Friday day program. Students must already have local living accommodations and transportation arranged, as the MDI Biological Laboratory is not providing either.
- Applicants under 18 must have parental/guardian consent.
- Must be nominated by a teacher before the student can initiate an application.
- Must be 16 years old as of June 23, 2019
- Must have successfully completed:
- High School Biology with Laboratory
- High School Chemistry with Laboratory
- High School Mathematics (at least Algebra 1)
- Must have their own housing and transportation arrangements.
- Students graduating in May 2019 are also eligible.
- International students must be enrolled in a US High School and have a valid visa throughout the program.
- High School Students from in-state (Maine) and out-of-state are eligible, please note that this is a day program Monday-Friday.
- High School Fellows must commit to the full 7-week program (see dates below).
Applicants from under-served populations are encouraged. Prior research experience is not required.
First discuss with your science teacher or guidance counselor about nominating you for the High School Fellowship program at MDI Biological Laboratory. Home-schooled students may be nominated by a professional with knowledge of the student’s capabilities.
Then your teacher or other professional will need to submit an online Teacher Nomination Form. The nominated student will then receive an email with link to the online application.
The online application form and all required supplemental materials must be submitted by the application due date (below).
Teacher Nomination of Student via Online Form
- Students must be nominated by a science teacher, guidance counselor or other professional to apply to this program. A completed Teacher Nomination Form must be received prior to any student application activity. Teachers may nominate multiple students. Nominations are closed.
Teacher Nominations Due: January 7, 2019.
Complete Applications Due: 11:59pm eastern time on February 4, 2019.
Teacher Recommendation Form
- High school students are required to have one teacher recommendation in addition to the teacher nomination. The reference cannot be the same person as the nominator. This recommendation request is provided to the student in the application online forms.
The recommendation is due February 4, 2019
- Decision notification letters are sent to applicants in March/April. Awards include lunches in our dining hall Monday-Friday and a stipend. Housing and travel expenses are not included.
2019 High School Fellowship Dates
- Dates are subject to change
- First Date: Monday, June 24, 2019
- Student Symposium: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at MDI Biological Laboratory (family event)
- Last date: Friday, August 9, 2019