High School Student Summer Research Fellowship
Our high school summer research fellowship program is highly competitive. We welcome applicants who desire hands-on, research training experience within an advanced laboratory that complements current resident research programs. High school students become a summer cohort with each student assigned and supervised by a senior scientist mentor as well as residential life staff. Co-curricular and residential life programs extend our immersion program to help students develop professional skill sets and foster connections within the scientific research community. Applicants from under-served populations are encouraged to apply. Summer high school fellows live on campus in a structured and supervised living-learning environment.
- Discuss with your teacher about nominating you for the High School Fellowship program at MDI Biological Laboratory.
- Your teacher will need to submit a Teacher Nomination of Student Form (see below). After initial qualifying review, you will receive an email with fellowship program information and online application submission process. The online application form and all required supplemental materials must be submitted by the application due date.
Complete Applications Due: February 6 2017.
Teacher Nomination of Student via Online Form
- Students must be nominated by a science teacher or guidance counselor to apply to this program. A completed Teacher Nomination of Student Form must be received and approved by the Education Office prior to any student application activity. The Education Coordinator will contact all approved nominees to initiate a full application.
Nominations Due: January 9 2017.
Teacher Recommendation Form
- High school students are required to have one teacher recommendation in addition to the teacher nomination.
- Applicants under 18 must have parental/guardian consent before applying.
- Must be nominated by a teacher before the student can initiate an application.
- Must be 16 years old as of June 25, 2017
- Must have successfully completed:
- High School Biology with Laboratory
- High School Chemistry with Laboratory
- High School Mathematics
- High School Students from in-state (Maine) and out-of-state are eligible.
- High School Fellows must commit to the full 7-week program (see dates below).
High School Fellows are provided with on campus dormitory style accommodations, full meal plans in our dining hall, and a stipend. Travel is not funded. Dormitories are supervised by live-in residential advisors.
- Decision notification letters are sent to applicants in March/April. Awards include room, full meal plan, and a stipend.
2017 High School Fellowship Dates
- Dates are subject to change
- Arrival: Sunday, June 25, 2017
- Student Symposium: Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at MDI Biological Laboratory (family event)
- Departure: Saturday, August 12, 2017