High School Student Summer Research Fellowship
2021 High School Program Flyer
MDI Biological Laboratory offers summer research fellowship opportunities for high school students with an interest in developing scientific research skills.
We welcome applicants who desire hands-on, research training experience within an advanced laboratory that complements current resident research programs. Our high school summer research fellowship program is highly competitive. Over 100 applications are submitted annually for a small number of available positions. Fellows are supervised by a faculty mentor and work alongside undergraduate fellows, graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and research assistants, thereby gaining experience and perspective on scientific research careers. They will conduct an independent research project and present their findings at our annual Summer Science Symposium. Fellows live with other high school students in an on-campus dormitory with a resident advisor and participate together in group activities outside the work day. Meals are provided 7 days a week in the campus dining hall. The only costs borne by the student are travel, laundry and voluntary recreation activities off campus.
- Applicants under 18 must have parental/guardian consent.
- Must be nominated by a teacher before the student can initiate an application.
- Must be 16 years old as of June 21, 2021
- Must have successfully completed:
- High School Biology with Laboratory
- High School Chemistry with Laboratory
- High School Mathematics (at least Algebra 1)
- Students graduating in May 2021 are also eligible.
- High School Students from in-state (Maine) and out-of-state are eligible.
- High School Fellows must commit to the full 7-week program (see dates below).
- Students who attend US schools and live in the US with their families are eligible to apply.
Applicants from under-served populations are encouraged. Prior research experience is not required.
- First discuss with your science teacher or guidance counselor about nominating you for the High School Fellowship program at MDI Biological Laboratory. Home-schooled students may be nominated by a professional with knowledge of the student’s capabilities.
- Then your teacher or other professional will need to submit an Student Nomination. The nominated student will then receive an email with link to the online application.
- The online application form and all required supplemental materials must be submitted by the application due date (below).
Teacher/Professional Nomination of Student via Online Form
- Students must be nominated by a science teacher, guidance counselor or other professional to apply to this program.
- The nominator must be able to speak to the student’s abilities in, and passion for, science.
- A completed online Nomination must be received prior to any student application activity.
- Nominators may nominate multiple students.
- To nominate a student, use this online nomination form. New nominators will be prompted to create an account in our LabCentral application system.
- Nominations Due: 11:59pm eastern time on January 8, 2021
- Complete Applications Due: 11:59pm eastern time on February 5, 2021
Teacher Recommendation Form
- High school students are required to have one teacher recommendation in addition to the teacher nomination. The recommender cannot be the same person as the nominator.
- The recommender must be able to speak to the student’s abilities in, and passion for, science.
- The recommendation request is provided in the application online forms.
- The recommendation is due by the application deadline.
- Decision notification letters are sent to applicants in March/April. If the program is held on-site, awards include a double occupancy dorm room, a weekly meal plan in our dining hall and a stipend. Travel is not included.
2021 High School Fellowship Dates
Dates are subject to change The 2021 program may be converted to an online experience for health and safety reasons during the pandemic.
- Arrival Sunday, June 20, 2021
- Orientation: Monday, June 21, 2020
- Student Symposium: Friday, August 6, 2021
- Departure Saturday, August 7, 2021