MDI Biological Laboratory and Dartmouth College, in collaboration with multiple partners in Maine and New Hampshire, have launched a project called: “Data to Action: A secondary school-based citizen science project to address arsenic contamination of well water”.
Scientist-partners from Maine and New Hampshire INBRE institutions will be partnered with high school and middle school science teachers in both states who are interested in engaging their students as citizen scientists by integrating well water monitoring into their science curricula.
The overall project goal is to provide teachers and students with the tools, skills and support to make sense of well water data so that their analyses can inform actions at the community level, resulting in positive public health outcomes.
Scientist-partners will participate in an orientation and training workshop at MDI Biological Laboratory before getting involved in classroom projects. Register now for the September training. Please communicate with the Education Director at MDI Biological Laboratory if you have not previously been in contact regarding participation in this project.
After the workshop, scientist-partners will
- Plan projects with teachers in their classrooms; follow up by e-mail, phone, Skype, or in person
- Make at least one classroom visit to meet students –and share career paths, discuss project data, and plan a public meeting
- Attend a public meeting with teachers and students, to support their outreach and education efforts
This project is supported by a Science Education Partnership Award (SEPA) to MDI Biological Laboratory in collaboration with Dartmouth College.
- Jane E. Disney, Ph.D.Senior Staff Scientist; Director of Research Training; Director, Community Environmental Health LaboratoryMDI Biological Laboratory
- Anna FarrellSEPA Program CoordinatorMDI Biological Laboratory
- Molly Schauffler, Ph.D.Science CoordinatorUniversity of Maine
- Bruce A. Stanton, Ph.D.Andrew C. Vail Memorial Professor of Microbiology and ImmunologyGeisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Click here for the schedule.