Health and Colony Management of Laboratory Fish 2023
A short course for principal investigators, technicians, trainees, core managers, veterinarians, and veterinary technicians who utilize or plan to utilize fish models in laboratory research.
- September 17-22, 2023
- MDI Biological Laboratory
Application Deadline: 09/01/2023
The course consists of lecture, laboratory exercises and discussions. With a high faculty to student ratio, during the course there are ample opportunities for students to discuss unusual and/or unsolved diagnostic case experiences from their home laboratories as problem-solving exercises.
Topics covered include:
- Fish Disease: Pathogenesis, diagnostics, necropsy methods, treatment and control
- General Fish Biology: Anatomy, form and function
- General training: anatomy, histology and necropsy techniques
- Core management: breeding, nutrition, water quality , system design and biosecurity
- Several species are discussed, but particular emphasis is given to zebrafish
Michael L. KentOregon State University
Rodman G. GetchellCornell University
Christian LawrenceBoston Children's Hospital
Christopher WhippsSUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry
Tuition includes all course materials including laboratory exercises, all meals during the program, on-campus double occupancy housing, WiFi access, and parking. Single occupancy rooms, if available, may be purchased for an additional fee.
Participant housing consists of double occupancy dormitory rooms and shared cottages. Single occupancy bedrooms, if available, may be secured with additional payment TBA.