Health and Colony Management of Laboratory Fish is a short course to help colony managers, researchers, and veterinarians monitor and maintain the health of a colony of aquatic organisms. This course is broad and is appropriate for technical staff, students, postdocs, and investigators, as well as veterinary professionals and trainees.
This course is approved by the AAVSB RACE (American Association of Veterinary State Boards Registry of Approved Continuing Education) to offer a total of 33 CE (Continuing Education) Credits to veterinarians and veterinary technicians.
The course consists of lecture, laboratory exercises and discussions. With a high faculty to student ratio, during the course there are ample opportunities for students to discuss unusual and/or unsolved diagnostic case experiences from their home laboratories as problem-solving exercises.
Topics covered include:
- Fish Disease: Pathogenesis, diagnostics, necropsy methods, treatment and control
- General Fish Biology: Anatomy, form and function
- General training: anatomy, histology and necropsy techniques
- Core management: breeding, nutrition, water quality , system design and biosecurity
- Several species are discussed, but particular emphasis is given to zebrafish
Applications are now open. Please use the Apply Now button above. The online application includes a scholarship request form.
This course is approved by the AAVSB RACE (American Association of Veterinary State Boards Registry of Approved Continuing Education) to offer a total of 35 CE (Continuing Education) Credits to veterinarians and veterinary technicians.
2019 tuition is $2900.00.
Tuition includes: all course materials, all meals during the program, on-campus double occupancy housing, WiFi access, and parking. Single occupancy rooms, if available, may be purchased for an additional fee.
- Michael L. Kent, Ph.D.ProfessorCollege of Veterinary Medicine, Oregon State University
Faculty and participants reside in on-campus housing. Participant housing is double occupancy. If available, single occupancy can be purchased for an additional fee.