Biomedical Bootcamp 2022
Learn all about genetic engineering using CRISPR and design the reagents needed to make a genetic change of your choice.
- August 8-12, 2022
- Contact Our Education Office
During the online bootcamp course you will learn all about genetic engineering using CRISPR and design the reagents needed to make a genetic change of your choice. You will hear from scientists about their work and be able to ask them questions in real time, analyze and present real data, learn about bioinformatics, analyze DNA sequences and attend a biomedical career panel with experts in the field of regenerative biology.
After an introduction to the scientific method and responsible conduct of research, students will engage in the following learning activities:
- Receive an introduction to the basic biology essential to understanding biomedical topics and techniques.
- Receive a virtual tour of the animal facilities at MDI Biological Laboratory and gain familiarity with a variety of animal model systems including zebrafish, axolotl, and nematode worms (C. elegans).
- Practice skills that will be required throughout the week to address research questions related to C. elegans.
- Review important concepts in DNA replication, transcription and translation necessary to understand the logistics of and logic behind typical molecular biology workflows.
- Learn about and view DNA extraction, running gels, conducting Polymerase Chain Reactions (PCR), and DNA sequencing.
- Use the BLAST tool to examine DNA sequences and learn how to manage and analyze big data with an introduction to bioinformatics.
- Review current research at MDI Biological Laboratory using CRISPR technology to edit genomes of C.elegans.
- Work in groups to design crRNA and homology repair template for a gene of interest.
- Share designs with other course participants.
- Participate in a scientific ethics roundtable discussion.
- Visit with scientists and bioentrepreneurs to discuss career paths.
Jane Disney, Ph.D.MDI Biological Laboratory
Elizabeth Marnik, Ph.D.MDI Biological Laboratory, Husson University
Students will meet virtually starting Monday, August 8. Sessions will be offered throughout the day with breaks for exercise and meals. Activities will continue through 4 pm each day. The program ends at noon on Friday, August 12.
2022 tuition is $750.00 for the online course.
Tuition includes a research kit for hands-on activities at home.
Limited financial aid may be available for students with need. The funding request form is included in the online application.