The MDI Biological Laboratory seeks to hire a motivated Research Assistant I to work in the laboratories of Dr. James Godwin and Dr. Voot Yin. The laboratories use the zebrafish and salamander model systems to define the cellular and molecular processes of limb and appendage regeneration. Emphasis is placed on understanding the roles of noncoding RNAs and immune cells in these processes.
• Performs tests, procedures and experiments applying specialized skills, knowledge and equipment. Works with lab team to modify and refine techniques and procedures to meet research objectives, and troubleshoot new protocols. Manages multiple, concurrent projects or a multi-faceted project.
• Applies knowledge of the scientific principles, methods and processes (technical and/or theoretical) to: conduct a systematic and objective inquiry including experimental design, data collection and analysis; operate instruments and equipment; and use related information technology.
• Clearly and concisely conveys information verbally and in written form; effectively presents ideas. Presents research results and summaries; adheres to reporting requirements of research project(s).
• A college degree in biological sciences is required for this position. Although not necessary, experience in developmental biology is an advantage.
• Preferred skills and experiences include: animal dissection and tissue processing, light microscopy, immunohistochemistry, confocal microscopy. The candidate should have basic familiarity with biostatistics. Experience with handling and colony management of aquatic animals will be an advantage. Experience with microinjection would also be highly desired.
• The candidate should be diligent, able to work both independently and in a team environment, acquire new skills rapidly, and have versatility in a laboratory setting.
• Effective problem solving and interpersonal skills.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
The MDI Biological Laboratory is an Equal Opportunity Employer.