The MDI Biological Laboratory seeks to hire a motivated research assistant to work in the laboratory of Assistant Professor, Dr. Jarod Rollins. The Rollins lab uses the roundworm C. elegans as a model to investigate the biology of aging. Emphasis is placed on understanding the role of translation and the ribosome in regulating gene expression in response to stress. Previous experience with C. elegans is a plus but not required. We are willing to train the right applicant on use of C. elegans.
- Maintain laboratory equipment, chemical inventories, laboratory supplies and stock solutions.
- Perform maintenance and husbandry of C. elegans lines. This includes microinjection, lifespans, and healthspan assays.
- Conduct routine molecular biology experiments based on established protocols. This includes DNA extractions and PCR.
- Convey the results of experiments in written form in a lab journal as well as verbally in lab meetings and institutional seminars.
Required Qualifications include:
- Knowledge of biological sciences as would normally be acquired through Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences or related subject with at least 2 years of related experience
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Basic laboratory experience with animal models and wet-lab methods
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment, acquire new skills rapidly, display versatility in a laboratory setting, and possess effective problem solving and interpersonal skills.
Previous experience with C. elegans is preferred, but not required.
This is a full-time, hourly (non-exempt) position with excellent benefits. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The MDI Biological Laboratory is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.