The MDI Biological Laboratory seeks to hire a Bioinformatics Software Engineer to work as an integral team member of the Bioinformatics Core that supports multiple research programs and provides training to students and research staff. Software engineering projects include building, maintaining and enhancing large and complex relational databases and web interfaces to support research programs. The Bioinformatics Software Engineer reports to the Director of the Bioinformatics Core.
- Gather requirements for software and database development
- Design and implement relational databases
- Design and implement web interfaces to query databases and run analysis tools
- Work directly with scientists to analyze large-scale gene expression and functional genomics data generated by microarray and high-throughput sequencing technologies
- Train students and scientists in the development and use of biological databases and analysis tools
- Assist scientists in the planning of experiments aimed at acquiring large scale genetic datasets
- Perform other tasks to support MDI Biological Laboratory programs as needed, to include website management.
- Demonstrated expertise using programming (Java) and scripting (R, Perl or Python) languages
- Demonstrated experience in programming, web and relational database development
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work on multiple simultaneous projects in a highly collaborative team environment
- B.S. or M.S. in computer science, bioinformatics, statistics, or a related field.
Special Position Requirements
- The Bioinformatics Software Engineer may be required to travel to network institutions to deliver trainings. They may also be required to attend certain regional, national and potentially international meetings and conferences.
- Prior experience working in a bioinformatics core.
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. This is a full-time salaried position with benefits.
The MDI Biological Laboratory is an Equal Opportunity Employer.