The MDI Biological Laboratory seeks to hire a Bioinformatics Research Training Specialist to work as an integral team member of the Bioinformatics Core, supporting research and training programs, with an expectation of roughly equal effort spent on each aspect of the role. This position will be responsible for both performance of, and instruction in, analysis of genomic, epigenetic, transcriptomic, proteomic and/or metabolic data. This position reports to the Director of the Bioinformatics Core.
• Work with the Core Director and Programmer(s) to implement, test, and optimize workflows/pipelines for analysis of genome-scale molecular data
• Gather requirements for biological data analysis by consulting with research staff
• Utilize and interpret workflow tools analyses in collaboration with research staff from a broad range of organisms and experimental systems
• Perform other tasks to support MDI Biological Laboratory programs as needed
• Provide training in the use of major bioinformatics resources and analysis tools in group and individual settings
• Generate re-usable training materials for training, including, but not necessarily limited to, presentation slides and written handouts
• M.S. or Ph.D. in bioinformatics or a related field
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Strong understanding of both genomic/molecular biology and probability/statistics
• Demonstrated knowledge of major biological databases and analysis tools
• Ability to work on multiple simultaneous projects in a highly collaborative team environment
• Strong working knowledge of Unix command-line environment
• Expertise using scripting languages (R, Perl or Python)
• Prior experience teaching bioinformatics or related skills
• Prior experience in a core group as a Bioinformatics Analyst
• Experience in comparative genomic analysis
Special Position Requirements
The Bioinformatics Research Training Specialist may be required to travel to network institutions for training sessions. They may also be required to attend certain regional, national and potentially international meetings and conferences.
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. This is a full-time salaried position with benefits.
The MDI Biological Laboratory is an Equal Opportunity Employer.