The Bioinformatics Core (BioCore) at the MDI Biological Laboratory (MDIBL) has an opening for a Bioinformatics Research Training Specialist. This position is a combination of teaching and analysis, with a roughly equal emphasis and effort on both, but the exact balance shifting based upon an ongoing assessment of MDIBL needs.
The MDIBL BioCore supports research groups at MDIBL and in the broader Maine INBRE program, following best practices in making genomic data analysis robust, rigorous, and reproducible. Modern genomics analysis is carried out through multi-step analytic pipelines, which are dependent upon many distinct factors,
In the research component of this job, the specialist will become a key member of the BioCore team, working with the BioCore team to develop, debug, and maintain genomic analysis pipelines. The specialist will also meet frequently with the research groups and the BioCore director, such that interactions are an ongoing collaboration rather than a service relationship. The specialist will also be tasked with assisting in the maintenance and upgrades to MDIBL’s RegenDbase, a database focused on integrating genomic data sets focused on cross-species studies of wound healing and regeneration.
In regard to the teaching component of this job, MDIBL hosts multiple courses, with the goal of incorporating computational analysis and approaches into each course in an appropriate manner. The Specialist will contribute to these efforts through both instruction and also in the generation of teaching materials, critically including generation of robust and informative data sets that are appropriate to the course.
The Bioinformatics Research Training Specialist will work as an integral team member of the Bioinformatics Core, supporting research and training programs, with an expectation of roughly equal effort spent on each aspect of the role. This position will be responsible for both analysis and instruction in genomic, epigenetic, transcriptomic, proteomic and/or metabolic data. He/she will report to the Director of the Bioinformatics Core.
- Work under the direction of the Core Director and to implement, test, and optimize workflows/pipelines for analysis of genome-scale molecular data
- Gather requirements for biological data analysis by consulting with research staff
- Carry out and interpret genomics workflow analyses in collaboration with research staff from a broad range of organisms and experimental systems
- Perform other tasks to support Computational Genomics at MDI Biological Laboratory programs as needed
- Provide training in the use of major bioinformatics resources and analysis tools in group and individual settings
- Generate re-usable training materials for training, including, but not necessarily limited to, appropriate data sets, presentation slides, and written handouts
- M.S. or higher in bioinformatics, or demonstrated equivalent expertise
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong working knowledge of Unix command-line environment
- Strong understanding of probability/statistics
- Knowledge of major biological databases and analysis tools
- Ability to work on multiple simultaneous projects in a highly collaborative team environment
- Expertise using scripting languages (R, Perl or Python)
- Experience with computational version control tools such as Git or Subversion
- Prior experience teaching bioinformatics or related skills
- Prior experience in a core group as a Bioinformatics Analyst or Instructor
- Experience in comparative genomic analysis
Physical Work Requirements
This position is often sedentary work, using one or more computers and typical office equipment. Certain projects may require light to medium physical activity. These activities may require standing or walking, or kneeling, squatting, bending, climbing along with lifting up to 25 pounds occasionally.
Special Position Requirements
The Bioinformatics Research Training Specialist may be required to travel to network institutions for training sessions. They may also be required to attend certain regional, national and potentially international meetings and conferences.
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. This is a full-time salaried position with benefits.
The MDI Biological Laboratory is an Equal Opportunity Employer.