MDI Biological Laboratory is seeking a full-time Animal Technician to provide day-to-day care and maintenance of all animals in the facility on campus.
The position will be responsible to:
• Conduct basic animal husbandry, feedings, and tank changes.
• Wash tanks, mating cages, and other aquaculture equipment.
• Train new facility users.
• Conduct fish health inspections, culling and health maintenance of the overall colony.
• Carry out and implement SOPs for everyday duties within the animal core.
• Breed and maintain core lines of all species for MDIBL summer courses as needed.
• Ensure that solutions and supplies are adequately stocked for various facilities.
• Ensure that mating, census, and euthanasia logs are up to date.
• Perform other animal care duties and research-related tasks, as assigned.
• Assist in set up and general maintenance of all aquaculture systems on a day to day basis.
• Support scientific services, including C.elegans plate pouring and RO unit maintenance checks.
Required qualifications include:
• Bachelor’s degree in the life sciences or substantial progress towards degree completion, or equivalent combination of experience and education
• Strong commitment to animal welfare and animal care
• Experience in aquaculture or animal husbandry in a similar support or internship role (1-3 years preferred)
• Good communication and teamwork skills
• Strong desire and ability to learn new skill and the ability to lift 50+lbs and work in a fast- paced environment
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
The MDI Biological Laboratory is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.